Records stored in the records centers will be destroyed when their retention is no longer required as indicated by approved Records Retention Schedule.
- Destruction of records will occur in January and July of each calendar year. The SRC will send a Notice of Destruction to each State government unit with records within the SRC that are scheduled for destruction.
- If there is no valid reason to retain the records longer than the authorized retention period, no action is required by the agency.
- The SRC staff will automatically arrange for the recycling of records.
- If the agency wishes to postpone destruction, then the agency must contact the SRC within 30 days of receiving notice.
- Disposition Holds: if an agency has a disposition hold on their records, the agency RO must contact the SRC immediately and submit a letter to the SRC explaining the hold along with documented evidence of the hold.